Infobae.com Bypasses Maduro’s Censorship in Venezuela

Since October 10, the government of Nicolás Maduro has blocked Venezuelan readers from accessing the internet news site Infobae. Now Infobae is introducing a new platform so Venezuelans can access the website’s content for free once more.

Staring today, anyone in Venezuela entering www.infobae.press will be able to access all of Infobae’s contents as usual.

It is possible that the Venezuelan government will once again try to block this site. However, if it does, Infobae will be available in other domains that will be made public for as long as this attack against freedom of expression continues.

A platform functioning as Infobae’s mirror server in several locations around the planet will make it possible for our site to be available in hundreds of other domains. Unless Maduro is ready to block Internet access in Venezuela, Infobae will be reachable to the population one way or the other.

If you have friends or family in Venezuela, we ask that you forward this article to them or simply tell them to access www.infobae.press

INFOBAE’S CHRONOLOGY OF CENSORSHIP

Venezuela’s Communication and Information Minister, Delcy Rodriguez, stated on Twitter that Infobae had been blocked in Venezuela after the site was accused of “defiling the honor of young lawmaker Robert Serra and failing to respect the integrity of his family” due to the publication of several photographs showing Serra’s body after being murdered.

The had of Conatel, William Castillo justified the decision to block Infobae saying that it was based on the Venezuelan laws being enforced by the Maduro administration. “Following instructions after the grave violation of Venezuelan laws, Conatel has ordered blocking the online news site Infobae,” he said, adding that the side “had committed grave offenses that offend the dignity of Robert Serra’s family and that contain no informational value”.

Last Friday, Reuters picked up the story saying that Venezuela’s “socialist government had blocked access to the Argentine news site Infobae. So did the AP and the AFP.

The SIP also condemned the decision. “This is a grave violation of the freedom of expression. The Venezuelan government decides what can and what can’t be read. It’s a totalitarian measure that, when it comes to communication and freedom of expression, it makes the Maduro administration look like Cuba. Infobae has our total support,” said the head of the Freedom of the Press Committee in the Interamerican Press Society, Claudio Paolillo.

The LED Foundation, presided by Silvana Giudici also expressed its support. “This rule is the same that bans the live broadcast of social protests arguing that these images can be an act of destabilization of Venezuela’s institutional system,” they said.

 

Publicado originalmente en el Huffington Post